Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Story to Tell

I decided that Everyone has a story to tell, today I just feel like mine is important. What brings me to this point in my life is very eventful. I was thinking about the day we found out that my dad had type 1 diabetes. I was only 12 and didn't really understand the magnitude of it all. I remember my parents being relieved that it wasn't cancer. Deep down I always knew I would one day share this disease with my dad. I remember the day things with my sister would become complicated with her Kidney Disease I was 16, I always knew that one day I would become her donor. I was 25 on that day. I was 20 when I married my husband and I could have never understood where it would take me knowing that someday he might have problems with his kidney's. My love for him was so deep that I wouldn't even worry about it. I was 32 when he was diagnosed with his kidney disease. Today I am 42 and my life has given me all of these things. It's important to know that this is what defines who I am not the diabetes, the kidney donor, the caregiver. But all of this has given me the ability to have compassion, understanding and the will to appreciate others challenges. How do you move forward on days when you can't get out of bed. Knowing that others share in your trials. Today is a good day today I count carbs. Today I have a thought about the future that I wish to share. Carbohydrates turn to sugar which create energy you need insulin to unlock the sugar. I am happy for the ability to give myself shots to unlock that carb so I can get out of bed and do what I do best "LIVE".

1 comment:

  1. K I basically cried, that's right brad I always cry. I remember those days as well and here im crying

    ReplyDelete