Saturday, November 20, 2010

Low's

So I talked about the highs so we can't forget the low's. Ok so low blood sugar or hypoglycemia whatever you want to call it is the worst. Let me give you a few symptoms and tell you how I handle them. Several different symptoms and they never seem to be the same. First my lips start to tingle and my tongue really quite weird I don't like it at all. At this time if I'm awake easy to take care of I just have a 15 carb snack. Ok now let's talk about what really happens. In the middle of the night I wake up with sheer panick heart racing sometimes in a cold sweat. I roll over knowing immediately my sugar is low. Only the good Lord knows why I even wake up so I can acknowledge that right off the bat. Anyhow check my sugars, then depending on how weak I feel I either step out of bed or slide and make my way to the kitchen. If you've ever had to walk the hallway with both hands on the wall to keep from falling you might know what this feels like. So now the important part only 15 carbs to bring your sugars to normal. This is the challenge let me tell you why. You feel so lost disoriented perhaps easier to just go back to sleep but you don't something is driving you to the kitchen. I remember oh ya cereal I can have some cereal. But I forgot that there are 29 carbs in 1/2 cup not including the 19 in the 1/2 cup of milk. Not thinking straight 5 bowls later I feel better, back to bed then I wake up, Hyperglycemia kicks in my day starts again. This time I don't want to get out of bed. Fact one small can of tree top apple juice 15 carbs, that's all you need. The true test of a great diabetic to have just 15 carbs. One day that will be me then not only will I be the greatest boss in the world I'll be the greatest diabetic in the world! Right now my dad holds the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment