Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fact

So much to learn. When this all started I pictured everything I knew about diabetes. Many were what I had seen in the Dialysis community. I have several friends with type 2 diabetes who have many problems with their feet. Right before the diagnosis a friends husband had suffered some severe muscle problems in his legs because of complications with his type 2. So I went on a very crazed eating or shall we say not eating binge. I figured the less I ate the less insulin I would need, completely carb free diet. I wouldn't even look at anything that was more than 15 carbs and even then I would really consider the consequence. I had the belief system that with only 1 kidney and so much knowledge of Dialysis that if I didn't do everything right my life was over. 2 months ago I was so tired and crying all the time my family had an "Intervention" and tried to get me to start eating. I was under the conclusion that if I needed shots of insulin that I was being "naughty". This led me to the University of Utah Diabetic Center where I met with a Dr. and Nutritionist. Yes I do have the personality of I can do this all on my own. I felt as if and still do that each day is a test, how will my sugars look am I on track what will I eat today etc etc. I learned much and still learning 2 things I'll share today. 1 no amount of insulin is too much when your eating at least 40-60 carbs per meal (still working on that), because who knows how much insulin a normal body is putting out each min of everyday. And the Fact for the day, I'm sure it's just me but a Banana has 15-30 carbs depending on the size, so this was news to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment