Saturday, December 11, 2010

That was scary

Do you ever feel like you jinks yourself when you say those dreaded words "man life is good I feel great I've got this pump thing under control"? Well this last week I have said all of these things. I put in my new site last night went to bed with a normal blood sugar, really enjoying the convenience honestly I only have good to say about the pump and how it has changed my life. Well today my life changed, I woke up at 488, I thought wow that is really high, I dosed got ready for work feeling sluggish of course, but we work because we have to. Off to work walk into the Reception Hall for a wedding and the hot air hit me like a ton of bricks the nausea started. I did what I could in between running to the bathroom to sit over the toilet. Here's why it was scary I know it's not the flu, I know my sugars are way too high. I also know that they should be headed down. I'm new to this I go outside to stand in the cold check my sugars again, all the while making the bride happy taking care of the little things, even though Jess had it all covered. I always feel as if I can't leave. Jess said I looked fine, darted to the bathroom again. Checked sugars with head between my legs, gone down 40 points 2 hrs, not fast enough give more insulin only what pump will allow. Too sick to stay when the food comes out run to the door leaving Jess, feeling the tears and nausea at the same time. Never remember feeling this bad ever. When I was diagnosed my sugars were never that high. Went home not sure how that happened so sick needing to throw up, problem being nothing in my stomach hadn't had a single thing to eat. Crawl into bed sobbing, my beautiful 15 year old placed a cool rag on my head. Sugars headed back up, now I'm starting to panick at what point do you head to the Dr.? I don't know this is so new to me. My husband walks in from his Birthday breakfast literally I am sobbing writhing in pain, a strange kind of pain, more of a terrified pain. Hard to explain, he looks at me says very gently you need to be quiet for just a moment as he comes to my bedside lays his hands on my head and gives me a blessing, of comfort that I will get through this and move forward. He then tells me that I need to change my sight take insulin through a needle until my sugars come down and put a new site in. I was back to work at 4pm as if the day had never happened. The inspiration and love I feel from my family and my beautiful co-worker is what get's me through. I know that this will happen again but next time I will know how to treat it. The thing with this disease one minute you feel as if your going to die the next your serving 145 workers their Christmas dinner. Life is such a crazy thing, that was scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment